Located on Forest Avenue, the H.H. Richardson Complex, also known as the State Asylum, the Buffalo State Hospital, and the Buffalo Pyschiatric Center, is one of the most recognizable structures in the city of Buffalo. With the Central Terminal, the Complex may be known as the most haunted location in Buffalo.
In the second half of the 19th century, Dr. James White petitioned to have a new pyschiatric center built in Buffalo. The petition was granted, with construction running from between 1869 and 1895. Named after its architect the Complex opened its doors to patients in 1895. By 1974 the Complex was closed and patients were being admitted to other centers.
The claims made about the building, which borders the Buffalo State campus on Elmwood, stem from further claims made about the style of medicine practiced on the grounds. While the Complex was a Kirkbride institution (Dr. Kirkbride was…
View original post 261 more words