I do actually do quite a lot of scratch baking, but for the sake of speed I used a lot of boxed mixes for the Death of Peeps projects.
I’ll let you in on a secret: there was a Death of Peeps party. In order to get all the Peeps murdered in time for my guests, I used a box cake mix for these cupcakes. By all means, use a scratch recipe for the cupcake base. And I bet these would be awesome with those homemade Peeps I keep seeing all over Pinterest.
I like to match the color of the Peeps to the cupcakes, so either dye a white cake or use one of the fruit flavored cake mixes that are out now.
*…Just…because this has been a problem with some of these projects, none of these cupcakes went minors. I mean, there’s no reason they can’t be a kid food, these just haven’t been. Consume your Peeps in moderation.
1 box fruit flavored cake mix (or the fruit flavored cup cake recipe of your choice, one that will make 16 cupcakes)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Prepare the cupcakes following the back of the box and adding 1/2 tea vanilla.
2. Fill lined cupcake trays to 2/3 full.
3. Bake following recipe or box directions, subtracting 3 minutes from the total baking time.
4. When the cupcakes are 3 minutes from finished, pull the trays out of the oven. Put a Peep on top of each cupcake, press down just firmly enough that they won’t fall off. They won’t stick but they should stay (mostly) upright while you put them back into the oven.
5. Bake 3 more minutes.
6. Remove from the oven carefully. Each Peep should be upright and whole, but puffy. Some may have fallen over slightly. Be careful, they’re going to be wobbly.
7. Take a butter knife and gently tap each Peep. They should pop and deflate.
8. Let cool. The marshmallows will be quite warm.
Please, stop by this week’s Inspired Weekends!