Because this is the year of no sun, I couldn’t grab a single decent shot of this project. I tried on three separate days. Just…nothing. If I hadn’t been lazy, I would have gotten out the Nikon and tried that, but honestly, my camera shots are just as bad as the phone shots and I don’t have to kick Mid off of his computer to upload anything.
Tearing out old projects for yarn used to be a much more common thing than it is now. It used to be so common, in fact, that I have patterns in my collection from the war rationing days that detail how to hide flawed yarn (the trick is patterned stitches).
I don’t necessarily have to ration yarn, especially in the era of Red Heart going on sale for $2 a ball, and frankly, I don’t mind working with Red Heart. I’ve never minded it. But if I have a garment that I haven’t worn for years, then there’s no reason I can’t take it apart and refashion it.
I had this red wool scarf since high school. All I remember about the wool is that it’s handspun, in the grease, and I purchased it at a craft barn in Rhode Island. I didn’t have any remote idea on yardage or weight but I guessed worsted by the hand and stitching.
When I went home from Rhinebeck, I took the scarf apart one night, let it break off where the scarf was felted and discarded those bits, and reballed the wool. If I had time I would have washed and dried the wool under tension, but I worked with it energized.
I have a collection of exceptionally simple scarf patterns for charity and/or travel knitting memorized, so I cast on a skinny version of the one row lace scarf (Ravelry link) and knit on the way home from Rhinebeck. I lost enough yardage from the tear out that I couldn’t knit to the same width and length, but taking in the width let me get enough length for a usable scarf.
Honestly, it could have handled a jump in needle size but the fabric isn’t too tight, it’s just not traditional lace-drapey. But I’ll probably wear this instead of the moss stitch it started out as, so it balances out in the end.