The Frugal Girl has a project that she’s been working on (apparently for awhile though i’m will working my way through the archives) where she takes a picture of her family’s food waste on fridays to hold herself acountable for the amount of food wasted.
part of my problem is that with only cooking for two, i tend to either overbuy or overcook. i’ve gotten better about freezing stuff and buying smaller amounts but it’s still a struggle.
i didn’t have my camera with me this week at the apartment but unfortunately there was more waste than i wanted.
-my fridge was set higher than what i was aware and it was freezing my food. i lost a head of bok choy and a bag of baby carrots that had frozen. the bok choy would have been dumped anyway because mid apparently can’t stomach cabbage or anything cabbage like (which makes me wonder what i’m going to do with the half a head of red cabbage still in there).
-a half a tomato that didn’t make it to the homemade sauce that i had hoped to make. mid doesn’t like a lot of tomato sauce generally and he doesn’t like homemade, but i wanted to freeze it for my lunches.
-the last of my hominy and bacon. i had tried to make a hominy and bacon dish from a frugal blog (i don’t remember which one) but i hadn’t had hominy before and was thinking it was going to be sweeter, and the bacon i got on sale at wegmans was horrible. the dish really needs better bacon to boost it. i did however freeze the left over bacon.
-bits and pieces of various lunches. the salad i made yesterday was huge and i got asked to buy a burrito with the guys i work with. i haven’t been getting enough fiber or protein lately so my salad got less love than it should. i had a partial bottle of coffee creamer go weird on me (but only me, apparently). the duck that i brought as leftovers were horrible reheated (as in, inedibly horrible). the applesauce i brought one day got overlooked and left out all night.
okay. it’s a start. it’s embarrasing, but it’s a start. i have some leftovers to grab for lunch today and then my fridge should be set.
i guess this one looks like how to avoid food waste but it’s more coincidental than that.
i greatly prefer all natural cleaning products, especially ones that i can make myself. i’m really sensitive to chemicals, and mid doesn’t like anything that’s highly scented. i don’t like most commercial green cleaning products because they don’t seem to work all that well, and i can make a more effective product for less with a trip to aldi’s.
-i used a stainless pan for this because it’s all i had at the apartment yesterday, and i’m getting new cookware for my birthday tomorrow. it doesn’t seem to have done anything to it, but i have a feeling like you’re not supposed to cook citrus in stainless? i haven’t googled this though and it’s entirely possible i’m talking out of my backside.
-i used tangerine peels though i suppose most citrus would work. it seems to be oranges that are most used though, but it could be that oranges are just more prevelant.
-you could probably freeze the peels until you need them since you’re not actually eating this. the original tip wanted 8 peels; i had 3 and it seemed to work. but if citrus is a rarity in your household or you only buy it in the winter when it’s seasonal, then i image you could put the peels in a bowl or a bag, dry freeze them (don’t blanch, and sticking together isn’t a problem here) and just hold onto the for 6 months to a year. again, i haven’t tried this so i don’t know if that would work or not but i know you can freeze the fruit.
-i don’t know shelf life on this one but if you feel that you’re not going to use it before it turns half the recipe.
-i did boil for more than the directed time because i had less peels than suggested. i also put the fluid in a measuring cup outside yesterday (it was hovering around freezing) before bottling and leaving in the fridge so my fridge didn’t have to work harder than necessary.
8 peels (i used a lot less peels than that and i don’t know how big an orange they want. i had tangerines that i turned into a cake sunday and held onto the peels)
about 1 cup water (i used more water than that because 1 cup didn’t even cover the peels)
put into a pot, cover, and boil for at least 2 minutes. put into a spray bottle.